31 October 2011

Beauty Tips from Miss M

Now that I'm 30, I think I have gathered a little bit of beauty wisdom that I can pass along to the world.  I've always been a girly girl...in fact, I was that girl in grade 4 that sneakily put on her mom's makeup before school.  And even if I got in trouble for it, I'd try again a few weeks later (only to get caught again).

When it comes to makeup and hair, especially as you get older, a light touch with good products for a base is always the way to go.  Here are some of my favourite products and how I use them.

For Hair:

Dry Shampoo
I have very fine hair that happens to get oily after 1 day of washing.  I like to wash my hair at night and then after a bit of air drying and usually a bit of using a blow dryer, I sprinkle in Cake Satin Sugar Hair and Body Refreshing Powder.  It does an amazing job of soaking up any oil that builds up overnight and even through the day.  The best thing about it is that it comes in shade made for darker hair that blends in flawlessly.


Leave in Conditioner or Detangler
Conditioners are even more important than the shampoo you use.  For me, a spray in product works better than your traditional rinse out product because it doesn't weigh down my fine hair.  I've used expensive stuff and honestly it works the same as good old Pantene Anti-Breakage Detangler from the drug store




Skincare:

Moisturizer
I have "droily" skin, which means it's oily but tends to get dry very quickly, in particular on the cheeks.  Having skin like this is frustrating - you use products to control shine and oil but then they end up drying out your skin, so then you use products to add in moisture but then this overloads your skin with oil leaving you back at square one.  It has taken years, YEARS to find that perfect product and recently I found two that work wonderfully for me: Neostrata Oil Free Moisture Infusion and Dermalogica Oil Control Lotion.

    

Eye Cream
A necessity in any girl's toolkit and again two that I love.  I use Dermalogica Total Eye Care with SPF 15  for day and Yes to Blueberries Eye Firming Treatment at night.  Both are light enough for my skin but never irritating.  I used to swear by Clinque All About Eyes, but found that it was too heavy for me and my eyes would sting when I got a little too close.


Make Up:
For day to day make up I use a light tinted moisturizer, a bit of concealer and powder, blush for some colour and never leave home without a bit of black eyeliner and one swoop of mascara.

Face
Tizo3 SPF 45 Tinted Moisturizer - Great in summer, great in winter and blends into skin flawlessly.  You can find this product at select spas around North America.  It uses mineral blends that are much lighter than most foundations or sunscreens.

Pur Minerals Mineral Glow Pressed Powder - Minerals really do work magic which is why I use products that contain them daily.  I recommend trying a mineral powder because they absorb oil  without clogging your pores but also have great coverage.

Clinique All About Eyes Concealer - I have deep dark circles under my eyes and have had them forever.  Most concealers are too light or too pink for my skin tone, but Clinque makes this product in multiple shades.  I love that it is light enough that it doesn't sit in any creases near my eyes.




Find some more products I can't live without on my Pinterest Board called "Beauty Products I Love".

No comments:

Post a Comment