21 January 2012

Sympathy for the Divorcée

I have resisted for a long long time to barely even mention the word "Kardashian" on my blog. Why?  Well, like most of you out there, I think they are totally overexposed and don't need any more attention than they already have.  Do I admit to watching their show and having interest in their lives?  Yes I do!  There is something weirdly fascinating about this family and I can't put my finger on it.  They aren't very relatable for obvious reasons (they are rich, often appear spoiled and use the word "like" too many times, to start), but then again, that is likely why they are fascinating.

You probably already know that there has been a huge, HUGE backlash against Kim Kardashian (and her family by default) after filing for divorce a mere 72 days into her marriage to some douchy, immature NBA player.  There was an obvious conclusion that her marriage was faked for tv, because, let's be honest, there is a lot that seems fake about her and her family.  She defended herself, saying she married for love not tv.

I know you are going to think I'm crazy but I think there is some truth in her statement.  She's an attractive, successful, family oriented (minus that sex tape ordeal...oh and posing nude in Playboy.  And Harpers Bazaar.  And W magazine.), 31 year old woman who has stated in the past that she expected to already be married and have kids by the age of 30.  She's not much different than me (except the sex tape and nude pictures, thank you very much), and I know that feeling of desperately wanting to live "happily ever after".  There is a lot of pressure on women my age to "settle down".  You often feel like a failure for not living up to this expectation that you have for yourself and in my case (and probably Kim's) your family has for you.

All I'm trying to say is...I can relate and I think a lot of women out there can too!  We can try to focus on other things and have hope in our hearts, but it is what is:  Being alone sucks.  Being unsure of your future and sometimes feeling like you might never find the "one" sucks.  Not knowing if you will ever have children sucks.  I have lots of hope that I'll find my guy, but I don't think it's up to me to judge when someone like Kim Kardashian or whoever else it might be settles for what they think is the right thing for them.  Because at the end of the day, if you feel that pressure to live a certain way, you can make a decision for the wrong reason and it can happen to anyone of us.




No comments:

Post a Comment