29 April 2012

Beauty Tips from Miss M - Perfect Liquid Eyeliner

Sometimes girls make the most random comments to each other in the ladies bathroom.  Mostly these comments are ones of admiration:  "I love your purse!",  "Your hair is so shiny, how did you get that way?",  "Great top, where is it from?", etc, etc.  The other day when I was in the ladies room at work, a co-worker commented on how perfectly straight my eyeliner was, which delighted me to no end.

See how thin that brush is?!
See, I wear liquid eyeliner on my top lash line, and not the type that's from the felt tip-ended pen.  My liquid eyeliner is the real deal L'oreal Lineur Intense Brush Tip which has a very fine brush.  Unlike a felt tip liner that does the work for you, you have to be ever so precise with the thin brush to get a an even line.  If done right, the results are much nicer than a felt tip liquid liner, more like an extension of your own lash line, which is natural yet sexy.  So...I am strangely proud of how after years and years of practice, my eyeliner technique finally gets me a super straight line almost every time.  I know this sounds like a weird thing to be proud of, but damnit, I only have so many talents and this is one of them!


Anyway, I thought I'd share my tips from my years of practice and encourage y'all to give liquid liner from a brush tip a try.  In my humble opinion, it's a much nicer option than the felt tip liner which can result in a thicker line thus a more obvious look.

Miss M's Tips for Perfect Liquid Lined Eyes:

1.  Start with a base.  I wear concealer, so I start with that around the eyes then I set the whole area with powder.  If you are doing eye shadow, now is the time to do it as well.

Note:   I know a lot beauty blogs will tell you to do your eye makeup first to avoid messing up the rest of your face, but I have always done foundation/powder/blush first, then eye makeup.  As long as you're careful, you'll be fine.  You can always touch up where needed.

2.  Once you are done your other makeup and eye shadow, you are ready to line the eyes.  Sweep off any excess liquid from the brush on the sides of the tube.  You don't want to end up with a heavy line, but one that is sleek, sophisticated and natural.

3.  Get close, really close, to the mirror, then stretch the outer corner of your eyelid the teensy-tiniest bit.  

4.  Steady your hand by resting on your cheekbone if you need to and line your eye from inner corner to outer edge, staying as close to your eyelashes as possible.

The point is to enhance your own natural lashline, so you want to have as little space between the liner and your lashes as possible.  Finish off the look with a coat of mascara (or coats of mascara if needed).

Ta da!  

Showing off my liquid eyeliner skills!


5.  If you mess up, you can dip the end of a Q-tip in a little bit of eye makeup remover to clean up any missteps or to take the whole thing off and start over.

6. Practice makes perfect!  If you don't succeed at first, don't give up!  If someone as un-coordinated as me can do this, you probably can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment